Cleaning and trimming were the goals for the last phase of the redesign. Since the site would now be presented for a variety of devices the leaner the load could be the better. The result combines steps taken with the code itself, as well as integrating some external services into the development workflow.
In order to prevent the chaos that developing a responsive site can introduce I had to re-examine my workflow. Leading up to coding the site I was able to slowly introduce some new items to the workflow that greatly helped during development.
The redesign went into motion over a year ago. In that time there were a couple complete design overhauls, as well as a smattering of minor adjustments. The goals for the first iteration addressed problems found in the previous design.
After several years using the same (self-created) branding I found myself needing something new. Not just for the sake of freshness, but the mark I had initially designed was both vague and getting used by other entities. Because of its simplicity it became part of identity for companies spanning multiple fields, and wasn’t particularly personal.
For the past few months I’ve used Sublime Text 2 as my go-to editor for code creation. Recently I’ve tried to learn the keyboard shortcuts to help speed up development, but wasn’t able to find a good printable version to keep nearby for quick reference. That led to the creation of this Sublime Text 2 keyboard shortcuts PDF:
The urge to redesign hits often on the web. The rapid creation and adoption of new technologies, and the refinements of existing techniques, produces an ever-growing number of methods to improve a site. Especially within the last several years it seems like the pace and volume of new technologies has increased.